25 June 2007

Oh The Possibilities... Part 2

Listening to: Chevelle - Well Enough Alone
--
Further to my last post on the cardboard pinhole camera, I came across a black solid cardboard in an arts supply shop on the weekend. So I bought a sheet and brought it into work to test out. I was a little unsure how it would fold once it had been cut, as it's a solid board rather than a corrugated hollow board. Hollow boards can fold into themselves, as the corrugated part collapses, whereas the solid board behaves differently. The outer layer wants to stretch as the inner layer folds. My hunch was that the outer layer would tear due to it's inability to hold together under tension.

And I was right. Each fold, whether it was 90ยบ or more, tore the outher liner every time. The board was so thick (about the same as the corrugated board I started with) that it really didn't take too much to rip. theoretically I suppose I could use it, but I want these suckers to look good on the outside, not with bits of torn paper all around it.

So it's back to the drawing board as far as using a black paper. I'm running out of time to use the CNC table here at work (I finish this job on Thursday), so I'm leaning towards buying some black spray paint for the internals of the box.

Hey it's all a learning experience. I've got a roll of film from the white pinhole camera I built, so UI'm keen to get it developed and see how it turned out. I'm a little unsure as to how well I made the pinhole, so that could its downfall. But we'll see.

No comments: